Chartered Trade Mark Attorney (4 years + PQE)
8 days ago
12th Jul 2021
About the role
We are seeking to recruit a motivated and experienced Chartered Trade Mark Attorney (4 years + PQE) to join our busy and expanding Brands & Trade Marks team. Working with and reporting directly to Carl Steele (Head of Trade Marks) and Clare Jackman (Partner, Trade Marks team), you will be providing essential daily support to Carl, Clare and other partners and fee earners across the firm's offices, handling matters including:
- Clearing trade marks and advising on their registrability
- Filing and prosecuting trade marks on a worldwide basis
- Conducting opposition and invalidation proceedings before the UKIPO and EUIPO
- Dealing with trade mark assignments, licences and co-existence agreements
- Responsibility for instructing and overseeing the work of overseas trade mark attorneys
- General TM portfolio management
- Providing support on TM infringement disputes, including drafting cease and desist letters.
- Supporting colleagues in our corporate team with TM due diligence exercises and advice on TM warranties, disclosures and ancillary documents.
Based in our Exeter or Bristol office with a flexible blend of home and office working based around business needs, you will be expected to provide complete management of client files, working (under partner supervision) to develop your existing skills. We'll encourage you to take a real interest in your clients' markets and affairs and have pride in ensuring that their needs are always met and their objectives delivered.
This is a great opportunity to continue to develop your skills and progress your career in a high performing and respected department. Business development and the ability to win new work will be an important part of the role, working with our existing team to target and win work from potential new clients and work referrers.
Technically excellent, commercially astute and highly organised, you are dedicated to and interested in your client's world. You are a strong communicator and have experience of building rewarding relationships with existing and prospective clients, as well as colleagues. Being highly motivated, energetic, personable and eager to learn, we will look to you to work proactively with appropriate levels of supervision and support, depending on your experience, in order to deliver great results for our clients.
You'll be handling a wide mixture of trade mark work and will readily be able to demonstrate your recent experience. An interest or experience in the retail, consumer products, luxury goods, or technology sectors is an advantage, but not essential.
You'll need to be:
- Ambitious, self-motivated with a positive attitude to your work and to your colleagues
- Meticulous and thorough, delivering high quality work on time and on budget
- Highly articulate, both in verbal and written communication
- Keen to invest in a rewarding career with Ashfords.
Like us, you will be focused upon delivering exceptional client service, and with some of our work being for clients and contacts overseas, you will have solutions which ensure that great relationships are developed and maintained in this context. You will be encouraged to continue to develop your client service skills, as all our fee earners are encouraged to assist with cross selling and business development initiatives. Finally, we are serious about supporting you to achieve your longer term career ambitions, and want to work with you to realise these.
Joining us, you will become part of the highly regarded and collaborative Brands & Trade Marks team which comprises 2 Partners (both are dual-qualified, Solicitors and Chartered Trade Mark Attorneys), 2 Chartered Trade Mark Attorneys, 1 Trade Mark Paralegal and 1 Trade Marks & Designs Formalities Co-ordinator.
Working for Ashfords, you can expect to be provided with excellent training, supervision and long term career development opportunities. We're proud to be an open, forward thinking and collegiate firm, where people enjoy working together with great clients to achieve real job satisfaction. We're ambitious - for ourselves, and for our people - and want to support you to realise your full potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance in a fantastic South West location.
You'll also enjoy our range of flexible benefits, which include:
- Life Assurance
- Private Health Insurance
- Private Medical Insurance (couple cover)
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- PeopleValue: Employee discount site offering discounts at over 200 retailers.
- 25 days annual leave, all bank holidays plus your birthday off and an extra day at Christmas. Your holiday entitlement increases with length of service.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Enhanced Maternity & Paternity Pay
- Free and Discounted Legal Services, including wills and conveyancing
- Medicash: Health care cash plan for employees
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Free Eye Tests
- Free In-house Gym at Exeter site
During these uncertain times, we have continued to work together to ensure that our people feel safe, supported and able to achieve our usual high standards of work, for each other and for our clients. With wellbeing being our priority, we have adapted our ways of working to ensure that new and existing colleagues get the support they need, when they need it. Interviews are taking place via Microsoft Teams and induction processes are being coordinated remotely at present, to enable people to begin working for us from home until such time as it is possible to return to the office. In the meantime, we have adapted our office environments to ensure they are 'Covid secure', if people do need to attend the office.
We will continue adjusting our approach as things change, so please do feel free to ask us about our response to the Covid-19 pandemic during our recruitment process, if you would like to know more.
Find out more…
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Charlotte Ferguson, Recruitment Manager, on 01392 333854 or via email: [email protected]
Or apply now, and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.