30 days ago
Yorkshire & North East
2nd Mar 2020
Our Sheffield office is expanding and we are excited to be looking for a trade mark paralegal and a trainee trade mark attorney to join our growing Northern team. The CMS trade mark team is busy and highly rated, with outstanding clients and a varied workload. As a paralegal or a trainee, you will work under the supervision of Chartered Trade Mark Attorneys and IP Solicitors and there is scope for the right candidates to be supported through the trade mark attorney qualification process.
About the role
These roles would suit ambitious individuals who are passionate about IP and want to gain hands-on experience managing the trade mark portfolios of high-end clients who regularly push the boundaries of trade mark law, making for an exciting and challenging working environment. These roles are Sheffield-based and you will work with the Sheffield, London and Warsaw trade mark teams, assisting in all aspects of trade mark portfolio management, including disputes and litigation. Prior experience and/or legal qualifications are beneficial but not essential. However, you must have a demonstrable passion for IP. The successful trainee candidate must also have the necessary motivation to undertake the trade mark attorney qualification process.
- Drafting arguments and submissions
- Advising clients on the registrability of marks
- Reviewing watch notices
- Drafting trade mark specifications
- Dealing with Registry objections
- Undertaking clearance searches
- Liaising with foreign attorneys
- Assisting with various contentious matters including trade mark litigation claims, trade mark opposition and cancellation actions
- Profiling and summarising of documents.
- Assisting with preparation of evidence needed for Trade Mark Registry matters
- Proofreading, copy checking, indexing, archiving
- Undertaking legal research as and when required
- Strong academics – ideally a 2.1 at degree level
- The trainee must be committed to qualifying as a trade mark attorney
- For the right paralegal, there will be potential to progress to the role of trainee trade mark attorney
- Candidates should be motivated, enthusiastic and interested in developing their knowledge of IP law and trade mark prosecution, and committed to qualifying as a trade mark attorney
- Able to demonstrate effective organisational, prioritisation and team working skills. The successful candidate will be working to tight deadlines and under pressure and will be required to maintain high levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to take responsibility for proactively managing a significant and varied volume of work to defined timescales.
- IT literacy and good typing speed and skills
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Flexible in attitude and approach to work
CMS are delighted to be named Law Firm of the Year at the 2018 British Legal Awards.
CMS is an international law firm with leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond. We create sustainable and rewarding futures for our clients, our people and our communities.
Ranked as the world’s 5th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in over 40 countries from 70+ offices worldwide.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status (“Protected Characteristics”).
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
How to apply
If you are interested please apply online. If you have any queries please contact Holly Woodhouse, Talent Acquisition Advisor, for more information