Meta launches new IP reporting centre
Meta, which runs Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp, has boosted its online reporting tools giving trade mark owners greater protection.
The updated offering includes changes to Brand Rights Protection, Meta’s IP infringement monitoring tool.
The new IP reporting centre will offer business owners a central location into which they can log in, allowing them to track the progress of reports made.
The Brand Rights Protection tool now makes use of machine learning capabilities, intended to improve the quality of potential matches which could represent IP infringement.
Other changes, such as saving searches and simultaneous searches across types of Meta content, have also been released.
Any brand can apply for access to Brand Rights Protection, providing:
- Brand must own a registered trade mark
- Trade mark must be active and text-based or image-based
- Business has no history of intellectual property violations
- Applicant must be an employee of brand or business
Meta has also made updates to Rights Manager, which allows users to manage content to which they hold IP rights at scale.
New features include:
- The ability for rights holders to automatically block matching images, if there is a demonstrated need
- Rights holders can now add attribution links to show ownership information on matching images
- Bulk actions have been introduced, allowing rights holders to act on multiple images at once.
To learn more about keeping IP safe on Meta platforms, click here to explore their guide to brand protection and misuse mitigation.
Our upcoming webinar will set out how you can take a proactive approach to online enforcement – click here to sign up.