Legal mental health charity LawCare launches champions scheme
Legal mental health charity LawCare launched an advocacy scheme ‘LawCare Champions’ to coincide with World Mental Health Day.
The programme aims to appoint legal professionals in the UK to act as mental health and wellbeing advocates within the legal community.
IP inclusive’s lead executive officer Andrea Brewster OBE (pictured) is among those to have been appointed.
Elizabeth Rimmer Chief Executive of LawCare said: “We are very proud to launch this new scheme on World Mental Health Day.
"This is a cross-jurisdiction, cross-profession initiative and our new champions have all been carefully chosen for their commitment, passion and enthusiasm in raising awareness about the importance of good mental health and wellbeing in the legal community.
"We hope our champions will help us to drive positive change in the culture of law.
"The theme of this year’s World Mental Health Day is suicide prevention, and we must all come together in the legal community to improve dialogue on mental health issues.”
The charity has also launched a new animated video highlighting the support they offer.
The full list of champions:
- Andrea Brewster OBE, Lead Executive Officer, IP Inclusive
- Samantha Brown, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Joanna Fleck, Co-founder Claiming Space
- Clare Good, Solicitor, Capital Law and Wellbeing Officer, Cardiff Law Society
- Catherine Hart, Partner and Professional Support Lawyer, Digby Brown
- Jodie Hill, Managing Director, Thrive Law
- Karen Jackson, Solicitor and Managing Director, didlaw
- Charles Jacobs, Senior Partner and Chairman, Linklaters
- David McCahon, Global Head of Commercial, Innovation and Technology Legal & Wellbeing Leader at Barclays
- James Pereira QC, Barrister and Coach
- Nick O’Neill, Governance and Practice Manager, Wirral Borough Council
- Lloyd Rees, Knowledge Lawyer, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Anna Robinson, Senior Solicitor and Psychotherapist
- Joanne Theodolou, General Counsel at Simply Business and Trustee of Mind, the mental health charity
LawCare is the charity that promotes and supports good mental health and wellbeing across the legal community in the UK and Ireland.
Its confidential helpline and webchat service is a safe place to talk without judgement. They are there to help Monday - Friday 9am–5.30pm or webchat Monday 9am-1pm, Wednesday 1-5.30pm, Friday 9am-1pm, with calls answered by trained staff and volunteers who have first-hand experience of working in the law.