30 going on partner

25th Aug 2022

Looking to speed into a senior role? Charlotte Wilding shares her suggestions.

development.jpg

Despite the recent uncertainty over the past few years, becoming a partner at a trade mark or law firm remains an attainable and aspirational goal.

Here are a few (hopefully) useful tips to help future leaders reach partnership in their thirties and beyond.

Know your audience

Partnership is unlikely to simply be handed to you – you have to work at putting your best case forward from the very beginning of your career.

My end goal was always to become a partner – how to get there was something I had to learn. I always made it clear that though my shorter‑term goals were to become a qualified attorney, senior associate, director etc, the ultimate aim was to make partnership.

With that in mind, I encouraged my seniors to advise me on how I could do that and what I personally needed to improve and bring to the table.

Having an understanding, from the very start, of what your particular firm requires in order to climb the ladder is extremely helpful and puts you a step ahead.

Most firms will have information available regarding each promotion stage and every firm requires different targets to be hit. To understand these from the outset will only increase your chances of meeting them.

At the same time, it’s not all about your firm. You must know what it is you want from partnership, as well as what you want to achieve as partner.

And then tell the current partners about your ambition so there can be no confusion as to what you want.

Be proactive from the start

Think like a partner from the beginning. You should be proactive in your firm’s business development as early as possible.

This does not necessarily mean you have to pressure yourself into bringing in a certain number of clients, for example, but you can aim to be part of the team when they do come in.

Make yourself invaluable. I made sure to attend as many internal and external events as possible to ensure that I would be thought of when work came in. In such a small industry, it helps to have contacts to find those next opportunities.

Engage with the extras

A large part of building your network and increasing your profile is working on the ‘extras’, such as article writing and speaking. Not only does it get your name recognised, but it helps to develop the key skills required in our profession.

Look for opportunities to get involved with your firm’s blogs, marketing or look for ways to engage with professional publications.

Writing articles for the CITMA Review, for example, gets your name out there and is a great way to stay on top of recent case law and changes in the industry.

This has been something I have been active in since starting in the profession and I encourage my team to do the same.

Public speaking may not be for everyone, and I certainly still find it nerve‑racking, but it can be a great experience. Again, this is an area that I actively say yes to even when I am unsure (assuming it is a topic I can speak to!) – it gets easier every time.

Find your own niche

By working on your network and the ‘extras’, you may well find your own niche within our niche industry, which will help you stand out.

However, don’t be disappointed if you do not fit comfortably into a niche. It is also a great talent to accept that there may be areas you are less skilled in, but in which you can encourage others that clearly have those talents.

Support your team (and they will support you)

I had the great privilege of working with the IP legend David Keltie many years ago and he was a great believer that you want your team to be better than you.

Why be the cleverest person in the room, when you can help and encourage others to be the best they can be? Mentor/mentee relationships can be invaluable for all those involved.

Not only can you demonstrate great leadership by getting involved in mentoring, but you will find that it helps you grow and develop both professionally and personally.

This can only be a good thing when you’re seeking a position at the top table.

Seek alternatives if needed

Finally, don’t hesitate to move on if things aren’t working out for you. But equally, don’t be too impatient, because the grass isn’t always greener. Go with your gut.

One of the hardest decisions I made was to leave the firm I had spent 11 brilliant years at, but the opportunity to head up a trade mark team, which was not available at my firm, was too great to miss.

It has proven to be a great decision – allowing me to grow both personally and professionally.

If you do seek opportunities elsewhere, it is absolutely vital to research the firm in as much detail as possible, speak to current employees (where appropriate to do so) and understand the ongoing requirements.

Once you have the full picture, it will help you make the right decision.

Charlotte Wilding is a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney, and Partner and Head of Trade Marks at Wedlake Bell LLP.

Full issue

Author